Definition of Rainwater Harvesting
It is a technique used for the collection, storage and use of rainwater mainly for irrigation and other purposes. We can also define rainwater harvesting as depositing the rainwater, rather than letting it run-off. When it rains, the rain water pours off from roof tops and it goes through the gutters to the streets. So, basically the water is getting wasted. But, with the technique of rainwater harvesting, we can utilise that very water in the best possible manner.
In this case the water gets collected in rainwater tanks http://www.ri-industries.com.au/residential/rainwater-tanks/specifications/ and is stored for future use. These kinds of tanks come in different types of materials. Some are made up of plastic, some are of metal and some are made of concrete. Among them, concrete tanks are considered as the best one as it does not require any maintenance and it also lasts really long. Many companies are there which are known for manufacturing and supplying rainwater storage tanks. They are made of finest materials and are very effective. And these companies also provide staffs for installation purpose. Apart from storage tanks, the water can also be stored in cisterns, boreholes, wells, etc.
This very practice of collection and storage of rain water has been there for thousands of years. And with time, its popularity is just getting increased more and more. Rainwater harvesting is one of the best waste water treatment systems. It can be used for watering the gardens, irrigation, livestock, indoor heating for houses, and lot more. This water can also be used for drinking purposes and groundwater recharge. It is mostly suitable for schools, parks, commercial sites, apartment complexes, parking lots and small residential landscapes.
Benefits of using rainwater concrete tanks:
- The water stays cool.
- No development of algae.
- There is no after-taste of water.
- The tanks are vandal-proof, fire-proof and bullet-proof.
- Since the tanks are placed underground, it doesn’t mar the looks of real-state.
- Compared to other materials of tanks, concrete is more durable and stronger.
The benefits of rainwater harvesting
- It diminishes erosion and flooding.
- It reduces water bills.
- It diminishes the demand of drinking water supply of your community as the rainwater serves several domestic purposes, like watering gardens, washing clothes, washing cars and flushing toilets, etc.
- It greatly helps in the growth of irrigational plants as the stored water are pollution-free and are free from minerals, salts, man-made contaminants.
- No wastage of money on water tankers.
- You can get water supply 24 hours and you do not have to rely on electricity or water timings.
- In an average, it saves about 200 litres of water/ family per day in a society.
- It helps in the reduction of ground water contamination.
- It helps in raising the water table.